Tuesday, March 30, 2010

there is humor in being laid off

Most people wouldn't say it is funny to be laid off. I am one of them. But there is humor in it. As one of the newly out-of-work, I have been confronted by many a friend or associate who has told me their story. Their story being the "same" as mine. For instance, my friend who was "laid off" as CEO of a major public corporation and was given a golden parachute worth millions; so much money in fact that he has not had to work much since except to tend his many homes and hone his wayward golf game. Or the guy who stands to inherit about $5 million but who is constantly depressed. He is the same guy who called to console me when I lost my job who I ended up consoling and telling HIM that everything would be alright. Invariably, everyone has a story, it seems and in their desire to make me feel better, they have to share it. Some tell me stuff I never knew like a friend who had to decided not to sue her partner when he broke off from their company. She took the high road but I could tell in her voice that she wished she had cut off his nuts while doing so. So, I can only laugh because at some point I will probably be telling someone else my story.

No comments: